This simple recipe for ground beef nachos combines seasoned beef with melty cheese for a quick and easy appetizer or meal. Oven baked and gluten free, this one is a hit for the whole family.
What really elevates this nacho recipe is my own seasoning for the ground beef. You could use this in tortillas for ground beef tacos or on top of a taco salad. It's super flavorful and delicious, plus only takes about 10 minutes to cook.
As for tortilla chips, I try to get something fairly sturdy that can hold a lot of the toppings without breaking. In Texas, we truly have a great selection of brands - G. Cardona is one of my favorites.
Toppings for Nachos
If you're following a migraine diet, toppings can feel limited for some. Here are a few of my favorites.
- White American Cheese - I use either Boar's Head or Andrew and Everett brands. Get it in block form from your deli counter and shred at home using a cheese grater. If you're further along in the diet, Monterey Jack is another good option. Both melt well.
- Green Onions or Shallots
- Sliced Jalapeno or Poblano Peppers
- Whipped Cottage Cheese as a sour cream substitute
- My salsa verde recipe or regular salsa, both in my cookbook.
- Mango Salsa
An Easy Weeknight Dinner
I joked on my instagram that I'm basically sitting on a throne of lies with the recipes I've been posting lately. It's true that the first trimester of pregnancy really throws off the foods you normally love. In the past I adored salads and now I can't even look at lettuce in my fridge without wanting to hurl. Hence the recipes lately for chicken tenders and now these ground beef nachos.
I figure though that anything that's easy for me to make while I feel like garbage is actually perfect for people with migraine who don't feel like cooking or have a lot of energy. Essentially I have a similar energy and vibe to when I was 24/7 chronic with vestibular migraine.
My hope is that people find this dinner as quick and easy as I do.
Easy Tex Mex Recipes
For more easy recipes like these ground beef nachos check out these:
Ground Beef Nachos
Seasoned Ground Beef
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ 12oz bag tortilla chips
- ½ pound white American cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- chopped peppers like poblano or jalapeno
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add ground beef to a large pan over medium high heat and begin to cook till no longer pink about 5-6 minutes, breaking it up into small bits. Once cooked through, drain any excess fat and add the spices, stirring over medium heat till well-combined. Add ⅓ cup of water and bring to a simmer, until almost all the water has cooked off.
- Cover a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the tortilla chips on top and sprinkle with shredded American cheese. Add the rest of the toppings except for the cilantro. Bake for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cilantro to the top of the nachos and serve with salsa or any extra dips you'd like.
- Two brands I really like for white American cheese are Boar's Head and Andrew and Everett. You can get it in the "block" form from the deli counter.