One of the most frustrating things for me when I first started the Heal Your Headache Diet was that I could no longer find pre-made items that were safe. Every salad dressing and mayo contained some kind of citrus at the bare minimum, and the majority have MSG. A quick look at Olive Garden’s Italian dressing shows it has romano cheese (aged cheese) and natural flavoring (MSG), while most others contain balsamic vinegars. Believe it or not, you can actually make a decent salad dressing and mayo with distilled white vinegar.
Migraine Diet Mayo
I was able to incorporate Sir Kensington’s Mayonnaise which has a small amount of lemon juice but no artificial preservatives or MSG. The lemon juice is right next to the sugar as an ingredient, and the sugar has 0 grams on the label, so you know it’s really low. So far, no one has mentioned this bothers their symptoms. Another good one to try without citrus is Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Oil Mayo. While avocados aren’t allowed on HYH, the oil is so processed and would not contain a high level of tyramine, like an actual avocado might.
You can find safe dijon mustard from HEB’s Organics and Annie’s Naturals. I do find many mustards contain wine so be on the lookout for that.
Here are a few of my staples.
Basic Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard Be careful with ingredients here. HEB Organic and Annie's Naturals are good brands
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Whisk all ingredients together and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 1 cup loosely packed Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup basil leaves I sometimes add 1/2 cup cause I love basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend till combined.
- 1 cup light olive oil or safflower oil
- 1 egg at ROOM TEMPERATURE wash your egg under warm water or buy pasturized
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the egg, 1/4 cup of oil, mustard powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly till thick. I find this is best done in a high speed blender (like Vitamix) or food processor.
- While the food processor or blender is running (or while you're whisking), SLOWLY drizzle in the remaining cup of oil in a steady stream. If you dump this in all at once it will be a gloopy disaster. The slower you can do this, the thicker the mayo will be.
- Once you've added the oil and the mixture has emulsified, slowly add in the distilled white vinegar to taste. Stir gently to incorporate.