Sweet strawberries are combined with savory cream cheese for the ultimate gluten free breakfast bread! This recipe for gluten free strawberry cream cheese bread is one your whole family will love. Serve it for breakfast or as a lighter dessert, topped with a little whipped cream.
Spring brings so many delightful things. Warmer weather, baby birds, budding flowers and if you’re in Florida, spring marks the beginning of strawberry season! My sweet neighbor made a visit to our local strawberry farm to hand pick berries and thoughtfully delivered me a couple of pints. Don’t you just love neighbors who drop by with free treats? I didn’t want them to go to waste so I searched for something yummy to bake and came across a version of this bread that I knew I could alter a bit.
How to Get the Best Strawberries
Before we get into the yummy bread I whipped up with my berry delivery, let’s talk about a few Strawberry facts according to Country Living Magazine.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen every spring.
- Despite their name strawberries aren’t technically berries, they’re accessory fruits. Since berries have seeds on the inside, strawberries are in a group of their own with nearly 200 seeds per berry on the outside.
- Considered members of the rose family, strawberries give off a sweet smell as they grow. So stop and smell the strawberries…if you’re not fragrance sensitive that is!
- Don’t rinse strawberries under water until you’re ready to use them. Rinsing speeds up spoiling.
- Strawberries are grown in every single U.S. state and Canadian Provence.
I think breads are so fun to bake. They mix up quick and easily and hang out in the oven so long, they make the whole house smell delicious!
This was my first time baking this recipe. My guy loved this bread so much that he requested I add it to the regular baking rotation. What I loved most about this bread was that it tasted even better the next day. It also tastes great sliced and warmed served with a scoop of Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Adapted from Genius Kitchen, this strawberry cream cheese bread will satisfy those who aren't even gluten free! Gooey, warm, and sweet, it's the perfect breakfast to make ahead for company. You can even make into muffins!
- 1/2 cup (4oz) softened, unsalted Kerrygold butter
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Arrowhead Mills organic oat flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup Organic Valley whole grassmilk
- 2 cups washed, strawberries cut into small pieces
Take your butter out of the fridge about an hour or so before starting the recipe. Room temperature butter is much easier to work with.
Preheat oven to 350. With electric mixer cream butter, sugar, cream cheese, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended.
Add milk and only stir just enough to blend -- do not over stir. Carefully just fold in cut strawberries. Dough mixture will be thick.
Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. (Tip…I always use the butter wrapper of the stick of butter I used above. There’s plenty of residual butter there for greasing.)
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. Cool before serving.
- Regular flour can be subbed in equal parts to the gluten free flours, but it may result in a faster cooking time. Check about the 45 minute mark.
- If making these into muffins, check around the 35-40 minute mark to make sure it's brown on top and cooked through the center. You can check this by sliding a toothpick in the center. If it comes out mostly clean, it's done.