These Bang Bang Brussels Sprouts are the perfect mix of a sweet and spicy. Sweet chili sauce and sriracha combine for the perfect coating to crispy roasted brussels sprouts. This is a great side dish any time of year.
- This recipe is ready in under 30 minutes.
- It requires just 5 main ingredients.
- This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, migraine diet and vegan-friendly.
- It’s the perfect compliment to grilled chicken or beef, or air fried salmon. Or would make a great vegetarian meal with this soy free fried rice.
- This is a great way to mix up the traditional Thanksgiving roasted brussels sprouts! Kids will love them.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a sweet, spicy and savory sauce that was made famous by Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp. It's typically mayo-based with a little bit of heat, which comes from sriracha. This sauce different from spicy mayo because it has a bit of sweetness, which we get here from sweet chili sauce. It's said that Bonefish Grill uses Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, but I'll explain my favorite below!
Brussels Sprouts - For 4 people to have a substantial side dish, you need about 2 pounds of brussels sprouts. It seems like a lot but they shrink down when roasted in the oven. I like to buy these bagged at Trader Joe’s so you just have to trim them and cut into halves (or quarters for larger sprouts). If you have to wash them, make sure you pat them really dry. You can also remove any damaged or brown outer leaves.
Sweet Chili Sauce - My favorite brand is Pretty Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, an Austin, TX company that will ship within the US (and maybe Canada if you email them!). The ingredients are super simple and this sauce doesn’t contain any additives or gums to make it thick like other store-bought brands. The flavor and spice level is perfect.
Sriracha - I typically use Fix, Linghams, or Underwood Ranch. Underwood Ranch is probably my favorite from a migraine diet perspective. But if you can tolerate small amounts rice vinegar, Fix sriracha is great and easily found on Amazon or Whole Foods.
Mayonnaise - I know it sounds weird, but mayonnaise is traditionally part of bang bang sauce. It’s typically a sweeter spicy mayo. Just 1 tablespoon adds a nice coating without it feeling heavy or greasy. I used Sir Kensington’s Organic, found at Whole Foods.
Oil Spray - I recommend using olive oil or avocado oil spray to lightly coat the brussels sprouts before roasting. Since we’re adding mayo later, that will also add oil to the mix, so you don’t want to go too heavy right off the bat
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Begin by trimming the stalk bottom off each sprout, and slicing into halves or quarters (for very large sprouts)
- Place them on a large baking sheet with parchment paper on top. You don’t want the sprouts to be piled on top of each other or they will not roast properly. (Picture 1)
- Use the oil spray to lightly coat the brussels sprouts and top with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Generally I do approximately ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake at 425 F for about 12-15 minutes, until starting to brown. Toss the sprouts, and bake another 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together the sauce ingredients till smooth. (Picture 2)
- When they look deep brown and crispy in spots (about the 18-20 minute mark), remove them from the oven and toss them with about half the sauce (Picture 3). I usually spoon it over the top and mix everything together. Bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven and taste and adjust any seasonings. Add more bang bang sauce as needed. (Picture 4)
- Store these sweet chili brussels sprouts up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. I don’t recommend freezing these, they’re best made fresh.
- I also recommend using fresh over frozen brussels sprouts.
- These can be made in an air fryer. Follow the same process, but they’ll cook in about 15 minutes total.
Gluten Free - These are naturally gluten free.
Dairy Free - These are dairy free as is.
Egg Free/ Vegan - Use my aquafaba mayo recipe.
Vegetarian Side Dishes
For more side dishes like these Bang Bang Brussels Sprouts, give these recipes a try!
Bang Bang Brussels Sprouts
- 14oz fresh brussels sprouts, stalks trimmed
- olive oil spray
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
Bang Bang Sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the brussels sprouts into halves or quarters depending on their size. Cover a baking sheet with parchment, making sure you can spread out the brussels sprouts so they're not on top of each other. Lightly spray the sprouts with oil and toss with minced garlic, kosher salt and pepper (I used about ½ teaspoon salt).
- Roast for 15 minutes or until starting to brown and get "crunchy". Meanwhile make the sauce by whisking the sweet chili sauce, sriracha and mayonnaise till smooth. Set aside. Remove the brussels sprouts from the oven and spoon about half of the bang bang sauce over them, tossing everything together. Roast another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and either coat them with the rest of the sauce to taste or use it for dipping!
- You can cook these in an air fryer, the time will just be cut down to about 15 minutes total.
- I used Sir Kensington's Organic Mayo and Pretty Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Use my aquafaba mayo recipe for egg free/vegan.
- This recipe serves 4 as a very large side or 6 comfortably.
- Store for up to 3 days in the fridge and reheat in the oven, air fryer or microwave.