This recipe for Cream Cheese Toast is so easy for a quick breakfast. Topped with fresh herbs like basil and chives, you can mix and match your favorites. It's a great substitute for avocado toast!
This cream cheese toast tutorial gives you a few different options for toppings, but you're not limited. It's also great just spread with jam.
Why You'll Love Cream Cheese Toast
While I hate to be "that food blogger" this recipe was inspired by a trip to Burgundy that we took a few years ago. The meals we had showcased fresh vegetables and herbs from the local market and were simple yet complex in flavor all at the same time - similar to this toast recipe. You'll love it because -
- It's a super fast breakfast that's ready in 5 minutes.
- The perfect replacement for the overdone avocado toast.
- This is not just a breakfast! Cream cheese toasts make a great appetizer or quick snack.
- The ingredients are simple and easy to find.
- This toast recipe is easy to edit to sweet, savory, or sweet and savory with your favorite toppings.
Just a few simple ingredients for this toast with cream cheese - nothing fancy! But see below for more variations. This is just the start.
- Bread - Start with a good quality bread here, typically one from a local bakery is best, but I also like Dave's Killer Bread Good Seed, 21 Whole Grains or Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat. Rudi's is a decent option for gluten free.
- Cream Cheese - Look for a cream cheese without carrageenan or a lot of additives. Brands like Philadelphia (the block style), Publix Greenwise, or Organic Valley are good options. And 2 tablespoons of cream cheese is equal to about 2 grams of protein.
- Fresh Herbs - No set options here - do whatever are your favorites! A few of mine include basil, thyme, dill, and oregano.
- Sea Salt and Fresh Black Pepper - Typically an afterthought, but here they highlight the flavors of the cream cheese toast.
How To Toast Bread without a Toaster
This seems pretty straightforward if you have a toaster, but for those (like myself) who do not want the extra kitchen gadget, here's how to make toast in the oven.
- Preheat the broiler to low heat - about 5 minutes. I prefer the low setting because it's more foolproof, especially if your broiler rivals the surface of the sun.
- Place bread on a sheet pan. (Picture 1)
- Place the sheet pan on the top rack of the oven, about 6 inches away. Broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or more, depending on your broiler. The toast should be a golden brown color. (Picture 2)
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 2-3 minutes before spreading with cream cheese and topping with fresh herbs. (Pictures 3-4)
Variations of Toast with Cream Cheese
If you want to mix up this cream cheese toast, here are a few ideas:
- Savory - Sliced, fresh tomatoes with basil and oregano. Sautéed garlic and mushrooms. Sliced cucumbers and radish. Top with a hard boiled or jammy egg (just boil an egg for 6 minutes).
- Sweet - Add sliced strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries. Top with honey, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. A favorite jam or jelly would also work!
- Sweet and Savory - Pomegranate seeds and mint or basil. Sliced or roasted grapes with fresh thyme leaves. Strawberries and fresh basil or mint. Chopped beets with basil, salt and pepper.
You can easily make this recipe into little appetizers as well that are quite beautiful. To do this, just use your favorite crackers with the cream cheese and herb mix.
Quick Tip - This cream cheese toast recipe is best made right before eating, otherwise the cream cheese can make the bread a bit soggy if not consumed quickly. If you need to prep ahead, toast the bread and add the cream cheese just before serving.
For more toast ideas, check out my butternut squash crostini which are perfect for a fall snack or appetizer.
And if you want to elevate your toast, don't miss this burrata toast which are a great dinner or appetizer.
Cream Cheese Toast
- 2 slices good bread
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil and thyme
- 4 cherry tomatoes (optional)
- fresh cracked pepper and fleur de sel or sea salt
- If not using a toaster, preheat broiler to low heat for 5 minutes. Place sliced bread on a baking sheet and adjust oven rack to about 6 inches away from heat source (usually the top rack).
- Toast the bread till golden brown on both sides, about 30 seconds to 1 minute each depending on your broiler. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes then spread cream cheese on top.
- Top with fresh herbs and sliced cherry tomatoes or one of the variations in the post and serve immediately.
- I recommend a local bakery for the best bread, but Dave's Killer Bread or Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat will also work.
- For cream cheese, use one without carrageenan like Philadelphia block style or Organic Valley.
- Feel free to adjust flavor combinations for sweet and savory. Omit tomatoes and use all fresh herbs like parsley, chives, dill and basil. Or top with fruits like strawberries, blueberries, or pomegranate seeds.
- Fresh herbs will work best for this recipe.
This post was originally written in 2018 and has been updated on March 7, 2020 with new images, title, and information on the recipe. It was updated again January 3, 2022 with recipe instructions and variation ideas as well as new photos.