Did you guys know there was a hit song in 1923 called "Yes, We Have No Bananas"? This song was #1 for weeks and has since been covered by many people. I first discovered this song while putting together a playlist for my wedding. Ok, let me clarify. My family has this tradition called the "babushka dance" where the bride puts a headscarf around her head and dances the polka with everyone. Therefore I needed some good polka songs and this was one that popped up. I felt it was fitting for this post as having no bananas is the story of my life on a migraine diet!
Bananas, especially overripe, contain tyramine and are also considered histamine liberators. It is one of the items I have had trouble reintroducing successfully. Unfortunately they are a staple in my breakfast items, acai bowls included.
Acai bowls were a traditional dish in Brazil, before they became crazy popular here in the US. It is considered a superfood because it's rich in fiber, has a high antioxidant content, and contains a good amount of protein for a berry. You'll see a lot of the pre-made acai packets popping up in health food stores. The problem with these is many contain some amount of citric acid. If you're really sensitive, you will want to order one like Feel Good Organic found on Amazon. If you're less sensitive, Trader Joe's has them for less than .5% citric acid.
It's easy to substitute the acai powder for the frozen packet. You'll want to make sure you have a decent blender or a lot of patience. I find one of those blender sticks (more professionally known as a tamper) that you can put through top to get things moving around helpful. Other fruits that would be good to mix in are blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. You are free to play around with it and add the fruits you like. I chose cherries to blend because I prefer the flavor to strawberries and it also adds a little more sweetness since you're leaving out the banana.
The Buckwheat Granola is AMAZING in this. It adds some sweetness when you have it all together so I really think the bowl itself is fine without any additional sweetener. If you disagree with me you are welcome to add a bit of honey or lucuma powder.
Acai Bowl without Bananas
- ⅓ cup frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup frozen cherries
- 1 packet acai puree (or 2 teaspoons acai powder)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup milk of your choice I like Oatly Oat Milk
- 2 teaspoons sunbutter
- optional sweetener to taste 1tsp of Lucuma powder is a great low GI option for this that tastes the most like banana
- fresh fruit of your choice to put on top
- buckwheat granola
- Add all ingredients, starting with the frozen fruit, and blend. May need to push the ingredients around with a tamper to blend evenly or add a tiny bit more liquid. Be careful as you want this as thick is possible.
- Remove from blender and top with extra fruit of your choice. The buckwheat granola from the previous post adds some sweetness and crunch. It is perfect on top of this bowl.