Spicy Chicken Stir Fry with Sesame Sauce
This spicy chicken stir fry uses vegetables and a soy-free sesame sauce for a quick and healthy weeknight meal. Really easy to make all vegetarian as well.
Servings: 4 people
Spicy Sesame Sauce
- ½ cup coconut aminos See notes in post about options. I use Trader Joe's brand which IS fermented
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5-2 tsp ground mustard I used 2 but I typically like a more spicy flavor
- 1 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter (if using butter, mix with a oil that can tolerate high heat)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into small 1" pieces
- 2 zucchini, washed and chopped into ½" pieces
- 2-3 carrots, chopped I used the pre-chopped ones from TJ's cause I'm lazy like that
- ½ red pepper, chopped into ½" pieces
- 4 oz mushrooms (if you can tolerate them)
- 2 green onions, trimmed at the ends and chopped
Add all the sauce ingredients to a food processor and blend till combined. Taste and see if you need to add salt. Coconut aminos are a little sweet, so I find a bit of extra salt helps to balance it. The sesame oil and vinegar will also add the "umami" that tends to go missing without using soy sauce. Set aside.
Add ghee (or butter/oil combo) to a skillet or wok on high heat. Add chicken and sear on first side for about 3 minutes, getting a nice caramelization. Toss and cook another 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
Add a little more ghee or butter/oil to the same skillet or wok. Add all the vegges except for the green onion and toss. The veggies should take about 3-4 minutes to cook. You still want them a little crisp.
Add the chicken back to the skillet and toss everything together with about 2 tbsp of the sauce. Serve and top with the green onions and a drizzle of the remaining sauce.
Calories: 489kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 235mg | Sodium: 915mg | Potassium: 1082mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5811IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 3mg