Baked Apple Cider Donut Holes (Gluten Free)
A fall delight with cinnamon and nutmeg flavors! These can be made gluten free or with regular all purpose flour, and glazed or cinnamon sugar coated.
Servings: 24 donut holes
- 1½ cups apple cider this will be reduced to ½ cup to use in the recipe
- 2 cloves
- 1⅓ cups flour I used ½ Arrowhead Mills Oat & ½ Bob’s Red Mill Rice flour
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup plain apple sauce * see note
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping - This covers 12 donut holes. If you’re skipping the glaze double this recipe.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider
Start by simmering 1 ½ cups apple cider with 2 cloves in a small saucepan over med-low heat for about 20 minutes. You should have at least ½ cup remaining. Remove the cloves and measure out to ½ cup. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter a 24 count donut hole pan or a mini muffin pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add egg, applesauce, vanilla and apple cider reduction and stir with a fork. Divide the batter between 24 mini muffin cups, about 2 tablespoons each.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Let the donuts cool for 5 minutes then gently remove them from the pan and place them onto a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath. This will catch all of the drippings from the toppings soon to come.
In separate bowls, stir together your glaze topping and your cinnamon & sugar topping. Melt butter 45 seconds in the microwave. You should now have three topping bowls. Butter, cinnamon sugar and glaze. Dip the donut holes in the butter and then into the cinnamon sugar to coat evenly. Dip the donuts into the glaze or drizzle it on top.
- Regular all purpose flour can be used, or for gluten free use ⅔rd cup of oat flour and ⅔rd cup of brown rice flour. If using all purpose flour, keep in mind these will bake faster, so you may need to shorten the time. Start checking about 3 minutes before.
- For the apple sauce, check for additives or added sugar. I used Publix Greenwise brand.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 69IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg