Chili Garlic Shrimp
Inspired by the recipe from Industrial Eats in Santa Barbara, this gluten free dish (without crusty bread) is the perfect dinner with delicious buttery shrimp that has a kick!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp cooking fat - olive oil or ghee
- 1 -½ lbs white jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 small red jalapeno peppers, sliced in thin circles and de-seeded If you can't find red jalapenos try a sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- 3-4 tbsp good butter, chilled
- ½ cup HYH safe broth/stock I used vegetable
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 loaf HYH safe ciabatta or bread, sliced thick and toasted You can leave this out if you want to make it gluten free
Heat cooking fat over medium heat in cast iron skillet until hot. Add peeled and deveined shrimp and fry about 2-4 minutes until opaque and cooked through. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
Add sliced garlic and red jalapenos to the same skillet and fry another minute until fragrant. Be careful here, the red pepper can sting the nostrils! Deglaze the pan with broth/stock of your choice and reduce by half.
In a separate pan, saute spinach leaves with 1 tbsp olive oil until slightly wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste.
Remove skillet from heat and whisk in chilled butter, one tablespoon at a time. Add shrimp back to the skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
If you're missing the bite that lemon usually has, try adding in some sumac or a splash of white vinegar to the sauce. I thought it tasted fine without.
- The sodium listed is for the entire dish (all servings) using unsalted butter.
- To make this whole30 and low carb, use ghee instead of regular butter and leave out the bread or use cauliflower rice.
Serving: 8oz | Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 165mg | Sodium: 779mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 645IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2mg