Butternut Squash Chili
This beanless chili is perfect for game days, especially on top of corn chips with a little bit of cheese! Comforting and cozy, you can make this recipe ahead of time and freeze to have ready.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 14oz can chopped tomatoes * I used Carmelina
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder * See notes in post if you make it too spicy.
- 2 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar
- 1.5 cups broth or stock of choice
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash * I used the pre-cut Trader Joe's squash that are roughly ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- radish and green onion for topping
Add 1tbsp of olive oil to a heat heavy bottomed pot, I like to use my dutch oven for this, and heat over medium. Add chopped shallots and garlic, sautéing for a minute or two until fragrant. Then add your ground beef and cook, breaking it up into small bits. If you have leftover liquid from the beef, I like to take a paper towel and stir it around the pot with a wooden spoon to soak up some excess liquid.
Once your beef is cooked, add the butternut squash, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, honey (or sugar), and smoked paprika. Stir to combine, still over medium heat. Then add your chopped tomatoes and broth with ½ tsp kosher salt. Stir again and bring the dish to a simmer (small bubbles on top).
Allow to simmer on low heat for 30 minutes then serve warm.
- This recipe freezes really well, just use some broth to reheat it in a dutch oven.
To make this vegetarian, omit the meat and either double the butternut squash or add 2 (14oz) cans of Cannellini beans.
- For a twist, serve this on top of tortilla chips with some cheese, radish, green onions, and a dollop of whipped cottage cheese (for migraine safe).
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 823mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8553IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 6mg