Boursin Broccoli and Rice Casserole
A healthier alternative to the beloved dish, this recipe uses Boursin cheese to add a pop of flavor to a super creamy and comforting sauce. See notes for a gluten free alternative.
Servings: 6 people as a side
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice * I added this 30 min into your prep time. Follow your rice package directions.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 1 5oz Boursin garlic and herb cheese package
- ½ cup panko
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 1 minute. Remove broccoli immediately (drain hot water), and run under cold water. Pat dry.
In a large saucepan, melt a tablespoon of butter or olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook for about a minute. Then add flour and stir to combine. Slowly add in your broth, whisking as you add it. Then add in your milk a little bit at a time, whisking after each addition to make sure it smooths out. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in your Boursin cheese block. Taste the sauce to make sure you like the seasonings and add a little kosher salt and pepper.
Stir in the broccoli florets and rice. Place mixture into an 8x8 casserole dish (or something similar). Top with panko. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until panko is lightly browned on top.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use rice flour instead of the all purpose and substitute gluten free panko. My favorite is Jeff's Creations.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 461IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 1mg