Healthy Egg Roll Bowls
A simple, delicious, and easy migraine friendly weeknight meal you can put together in under 20 minutes. This soy-free meal can be made paleo, Whole30, and gluten free.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 package of defrosted egg roll wrappers OR tortillas
- olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground pork *
- 3 small cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos *
- 1.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 9oz package pre-shredded cabbage and carrot slaw *
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- sriracha sauce
Make sure your egg roll wrappers are defrosted before you begin this recipe. I forgot and ending up pulling them apart in pieces...but it was still good! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut your wrappers or tortillas into roughly ½" x 3" pieces, place them on a baking sheet, and brush them with a little olive oil. I used about 3 wrappers total, but you can make more or less as you'd like. You can also cook them full size as wonton "chips". Bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes until golden brown, but watch carefully.
In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Add raw meat and cook for about 4-5 minutes until no pink remains, breaking up with a wooden spoon. If there's any excess juice in the pan, drain or pat with a paper towel.
Turn heat to medium and add garlic and ginger, cooking for about a minute, stirring often. Add cabbage slaw mix and most of the green onions (save a bit for garnigh) and cook for around 3 minutes until softened. Then add broth, coconut aminos (or soy substitute), and sesame oil, stirring to combine everything.
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and top with toasted egg roll wrappers, sriracha and green onions. Eat immediately
- Ground pork can be substituted for ground chicken (I like chicken thighs), ground turkey, or tofu (although not HYH-friendly).
- See the post for a coconut amino substitute
- I bought Trader Joe's or Whole Foods pre-shredded cabbage and carrot slaw...cause I'm lazy like that.
- For Whole30, Paleo, and Gluten free, simply leave out the wonton chips or sub cassava strips.
Serving: 4people | Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 685mg | Potassium: 522mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 152IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg