Pan Seared Sea Bass
An elegant meal in one pan, this recipe teaches you how to sear the perfect filet of fish.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ¾ pounds Chilean Sea Bass, cut into 4 filets
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 shallot, chopped small
- 10 oz fresh cherry tomatoes or mini heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Take the sea bass filets out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before you begin and pat dry. Season with kosher salt and black pepper on both sides. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F if using filets thicker than 1 ½ inches.
In an oven safe frying pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until butter is bubbling, but not smoking/burning. Add sea bass filets flesh side down and DON'T TOUCH THEM for 5 minutes. If it's cooking too quickly, turn down the heat to medium. If you move them around when they're not ready, they will stick to the pan.
Once a golden brown crust has formed, flip to skin side down. Deglaze the pan with wine or broth, add chopped shallots and tomatoes. Using a wooden spoon, stir them around the fish without moving the fish. Spoon some of the sauce over the sea bass as it cooks and pan sear for another 4-5 minutes.
For a very thick filet (like the ones I used), transfer the whole pan to the oven and bake for 4-7 minutes until fish has cooked through. Serve warm over mashed cauliflower or potatoes.
- Use this same cooking technique with less expensive cuts of fish like cod or halibut and it will still be just as delicious. Just lower the cooking time as they tend to be less thick.
- For dairy free, all olive oil can be used. If you don't like/can't tolerate tomatoes, just omit them from the dish.
Serving: 1filet | Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 166mg | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 684mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 613IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg