Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls
These southwestern egg rolls are the vegetarian version of the popular appetizer at Chili's, but air fried! Served with my cilantro sauce or southwestern ranch for dipping, they're a super flavorful dish.
Servings: 10 egg rolls
- ½ cup diced green onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn (or fresh)
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup good American cheese (see post for recommendations on brands)
- 10-11 egg roll wrappers, defrosted
- mild oil like vegetable, avocado, or canola
In a large saute pan coated with 2 teaspoons of oil, combine the green onion, red bell pepper, corn, and jalapeno over medium heat. Saute for about 3-4 minutes until cooked through, then add the minced garlic and stir for another minute. Add the canned black beans and spinach, till spinach is wilted down. Then add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
Once combined, turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro and American cheese. Preheat air fryer (if using) to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile place an egg roll wrapper to make a diamond shape. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of the southwestern filling and fold up the bottom. Then fold in both sides, making an "envelope" shape. Brush all the edges with oil. Continue to roll the bottom of the envelope towards the top of the diamond, folding in the sides as needed. Brush oil on the top of the egg roll flap to secure it and place seam side down. Brush oil over the entire surface of the egg roll.
Place in the air fryer in a single layer, seam side down, and cook for 8 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the air fryer and allow them to cool before serving with dipping sauce.
- To fry these the traditional way, coat a heavy bottomed pan with vegetable or canola oil till it's about ½"-1" deep. Heat over medium heat till hot. Fry for about 1 minute each side till golden brown. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool.
- These can be made vegan by leaving out the cheese. You can add in more vegetables to make up that ¾ cup.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 777IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 1mg