Sunbutter Soba Noodle Salad
A faux spicy peanut salad recipe. Leave out the chicken for a filling vegetarian option! True buckwheat noodles are naturally gluten free. Check your labels to make sure it's not a less expensive, mixed version.
Servings: 4 people
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed butter * see notes
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1-½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- ½ tsp dried ginger or 1 tsp fresh
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp sriracha of your choice
- 5-6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp kosher salt *may need to adjust depending on sunbutter sweetness/saltiness
- 1 tbsp honey *may need to adjust depending on sunbutter sweetness/saltiness
- 1 lb grilled or cooked chicken sliced or shredded *leave out for vegetarian
- ½ red bell pepper
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup red cabbage shredded
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- Optional: toasted sunflower seeds if you like a little crunch
Heat a large pot of water on medium high till it comes to a boil.
Place all the ingredients for the sauce except water, salt, and honey in a food processor (or whisk yourself) and blend together. Add water 1 tbsp at a time till you reach desired consistency. It should be a little thick. Taste and see if it needs salt and honey depending on the flavor of your sunbutter. I find they range quite dramatically in flavor! Mine was unsalted and unsweeted so I used the above amounts.
Add soba noodles to boiling water and cook according to package directions. Mine was 7-8 minutes. Err on the lower side...you do not want to overcook these.
Place all the chopped veggies, soba noodles, and chicken in a large bowl and toss with about half of the sunbutter sauce. If you need more, add the rest. I had some leftover! It makes for a great dipping sauce or salad dressing.
- I find some sunbutters are sweeter than others. I like Trader Joe's (which is a bit salty) or Sunbutter Organic (no sugar or salt)
- For Gluten Free use 100% Buckwheat Noodles
Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 391mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5837IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg