Chicken and Couscous (Moroccan-Inspired)
An easy and super flavorful meal of simply grilled chicken marinated in Moroccan spices and accompanied with couscous that's filled with pomegranate seeds. A perfect 30 minute meal if marinated ahead!
Servings: 4 people
Moroccan-Inspired Grilled Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to ¾ inch thickness
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ cup Moroccan-style couscous (not Israeli)
- ¼ cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper (each)
Place all the ingredients in a large ziplock bag or shallow dish and marinate at least 30 minutes to an hour, up to 24 hours total.
Brush grill pan with olive oil and heat to medium-high heat. Add marinated chicken and sear on first side 4 minutes. Flip and sear on other side 3-4 minutes (mine took 3). The internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees. Wrap in tin foil until you're ready to serve. For full size chicken breasts, grill for about 7-8 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep pan (that has a lid) warm olive oil over medium high heat and sauté shallot for 1 minute. Add broth and paprika and bring to a simmer.
Remove the pan from the heat and add couscous. Cover with the lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff couscous with a fork. Add pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, and parsley. Season to taste.
- The longer the chicken is marinated, the more flavorful it will be...up to a point! After 24 hours, the texture of the chicken can change so limit it to within 24 hours.
- This chicken can also be grilled on a grill pan or simply seared on both sides till cooked through.
- For gluten free, substitute couscous with quinoa or brown rice and cook according to package directions before mixing with the spices and seeds.
Calories: 562kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 21g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 1026mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 942IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg