Easy to make and store, this stuffing ball recipe is an old family favorite. Using leftover bread, you make individual balls that are flavored with vegetables and lots of spices for a great vegetarian stuffing
Servings: 8 balls
- ¼ cup butter * Use olive oil for dairy free/vegan
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ⅓ cup shallots or leeks, chopped
- 1 large egg * Use a flax replacement for vegan
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning * See post for recommendations
- ½ cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt * Adjust this if your poultry seasoning contains salt
- ½ tsp fresh pepper
- 6 cups day-old white or wheat bread cut into ½ inch cubes (about 6-7 slices)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in chopped celery and leeks or shallots. Stir about 2-3 minutes until softened. Turn off heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together egg, poultry seasoning, parsley, broth, salt and pepper, then add butter mixture. Add bread cubes and use your hands to mash it all together. If mixture seems too moist, add more bread. If it seems too dry, add more broth. Pack it together in your hands and form into roughly 2-½ inch balls - they should hold together well.
Place balls on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes until lightly browned and crunchy on the outside. Store in the fridge for 2-3 days or in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
- If your bread is pretty fresh, just dry it out a bit in the oven by placing in for 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees F. You don't want it toasted, just a little crusty/dry on the outside.
- Onion-free poultry seasoning can be found with McCormick brand and Central Market brand.
- For migraine friendly instant pot stock, see this recipe or the vegetable broth from my cookbook (which is what I used).
Serving: 2balls | Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 2mg