Quick and Easy Potato Salad
Traditional and easy, using small potatoes helps this potato salad cook a little bit faster. Choose an additive free mayonnaise that fits your diet or make your own. This serves 4 people as a side dish.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 pounds small potatoes, like fingerlings or baby potatoes
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise *See notes
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard *See notes
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons organic apple juice (plain juice, nothing added)
- 2 small stalks of celery, diced small
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickles (OPTIONAL)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 tbsp fresh) * Use fresh if you can
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and, while waiting, clean your potatoes and cut them in half. Cover with a lid and simmer the potatoes till soft, but not mushy - about 10 minutes. They're ready when a fork can slide easily through the potato.
Remove the pot from heat and drain. You can run your potatoes under cold water to cool them down a bit, then dry loosely with a paper towel.
Meanwhile combine the mayo, dijon, vinegar, apple juice, celery, shallot, pickles (if using) and dill. Add the potatoes to the mix and chill for at least an hour or two. Taste your potato salad and add salt and pepper to your preference. I typically only add ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, but love more pepper - about ¼-1/2 teaspoon.
- For migraine-friendly, additive-free mayonnaise and dijon mustard see the suggestions in Pantry Staples. My personal favorites are Sir Kensington's and Annie's Naturals. You can also use Primal Kitchen or make your own using this recipe.
- I find migraine-friendly pickles at my local farmers market, but they're also easy to make at home. Here's a recipe for quick pickles.
Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 193mg | Potassium: 1028mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 189IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg